Friday 23 August 2013

Fukushima Peaches

This is so typically Tohoku, the people are just SO incredible.

For the book on kokeshi culture, Kokeshi from Tohoku with Love,  I interviewed the owners of Horieya ryokan, in a historic onsen town called Iizaka. The ryokan itself was built in Meiji15 (1882) and has barely changed -- great atmosphere and one of the best onsen baths I have ever been in. The whole town has a retro atmosphere which is quite unique. The entire area is surrounded by mountains and farms, with  beautiful river meandering through the town, but area used to be a night playground in the showa era, when it was absolutely booming and remnants of that culture are still visible. We were shooting a fighting festival, which was fierce and exhilarating.

I sent them a book and they sent a box of peaches (Fukushima's pride) back.
If you have been watching the news, Fukushima is really struggling at the moment, so I found this particularly heartwarming, that they would have enough space in their heart to think of some wandering journalist that took their time.   In fact the people from Tohoku have been the most appreciative people I have ever met, sending letters of thanks and kokeshi dolls. This is not because it is me per se, it is because the people are so beautiful and gracious, even under adversity.

I think recently a lot of the guests are people involved with NGOS and whatnot. I really recommend it if you are working in the region. Horieya Ryokan. There are in-house shamisen performances, the hotspring bath is spot on, and of course, the peaches are amazing. <33333

thank you amazing people of Tohoku, my thoughts are with you  xxxxxx



Horieya:





At the festival (someone lost a finger! -- ok so that isn't very kawaii)

FUKUSHIMA fighitng festival