Saturday 23 January 2016

Fox village in Zao

This takes the cake for one of the most awesome places I've been to in Japan. If you know me, you will know I am a total animal nut but I mean, seriously... this place is TOO MUCH.
One half of my family were snowboarding in Zao, so I met up with them. We did get warned but  these guys stole our friends'  baby daughter's hat (running off gleefully) so all I can say is watch your stuff!
It is a sanctuary and the enclosure is big, you are walking around with foxes all around you, and of course, there is also a little Inari (fox deity) shrine, so you can shoot 'foxes at the fox shrine' style photos.




 It is also very close to hotsprings, ....and hence a kokeshi village.
There is a cluster of artisan studios in Shiroishi making all kinds of cute wooden folk toys, you can stroll from one to one and check them out.
I initially went here for my book, Kokeshi from Tohoku with Love -- if you only have time to visit one village, this and also Naruko are both little hubs of production with their own museums.
Kamasaki onsen is also close by. Nice little trip with the ozzies...